How long before Axon 3 can be used on BFB 3000 models?

8 replies [Last post]
Claudster

I have been reading the Axon 3 thread with interest, and I am wondering how long before these new updates trickle down to the BFB 3000 models.

Will firmware that reads the new file format be released soon. Several of my students have already tried Axon 3 and are dissappointed when they discovered that our school's BFB 3000 could not read the lateast files.

Have us BFB 3000 users been abandoned?

settle

I would really like to know this too. I also use a couple of bfb3000 in education and the increase in speed with axon 3 would make the process so much easier.

The post below is from another thread, doesn't sound too hopeful, unless the v5 will be modified for the 3000.

Is there anyway to update the 3000's electronics to the those used in the newer 3dtouch?

Jonathan,

I hope Andy has clarified your questions regarding access to parameters and new firmware continuing to operate with .bfb Gcode files.

At present there are no plans to adapt the V4 firmware to run Axon 3 .bfbe build files (V4 firmware is used on RapMan 3.0, RapMan 3.1, BFB 3000 (plus)).  We are unable to open source the V4 firmware as much of its IP is still relevant in the V5 firmware.

Andrew

rjlilko

In a word, yes.

Robert F

Unfortunately, it appears that BFB has "orphaned" the BFB 3000, while the lower priced RapMan at least can be upgraded with new electronics, albiet at a rather steep price.   While in theory you could buy the Rap Man electronic upgrade kit, it would not be a drop in replacement.  For one, when they switched to a composite bed, they also switched to using an imbedded magnet in the bed and a Hall Effect sensor in the head carriage to determine Z height.   As a result, they had 2 versions of the firmware, one for composite bed and one without.  If you are capable, you could rebuild  your machine into a 3D Touch,by adding the Hall effect sensor on the Z axis, and possibly on your X and Y as well, and install the new electronics. The electronics are the same in the RapMan 3.2 and 3D touch, just as they were the same in the BFB 3000 and RapMan 3.1.   I'm not aware of any other mechanical differences in the overall design.  But I think it would be far better if BFB did not orphan a machine that was being sold as recently as a year ago. 

Claudster

The upgrade you describe sounds very intrguing. Are there instructions avaiable on how to do this upgrade? Can I find parts and materials lists avaiable through BFB?

Robert F

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't know what info BFB will provide.  What I can tell you is what I've learned from my own experiments.  The RapMan uses micro switches that are normally closed, and open when the carriage touches them.  The 3000 uses magnetic swithes that are normally open.  You do not need magnetic switches, you could accomplish the same thing with mechanical switches for X and Y.  Z must be magnetic, however.  The X and Y switches  close when the carriage is very close, while the Z switch is in the carriage and senses the magnet in the bed from about 3 inches away.  The 3000 software finds Z position by scanning the head back and forth until it senses the switch closing in a predetermined range. The magnet is located in the center of the bed, about two-thirds of the way towards the rear.   This is a reasonably accurate way of finding Z without contacting the board surface.  The 3000 uses a ball screw for Z movement that is about twice as fast as the RapMan.  I calculated that if you made a 51 tooth pulley for the RapMan's Z motor, it would have the same ratio as the 3000.  I've tried loading the 3000 firmware into my RapMan, it loads fine, and of course you can restore the Rapman firmware.  I've redesigned nearly every part of my RapMan, to the point that it is an entirely new machine.  See: http://robertchristine.blogspot.com/2011/11/rapman-3d-printer-modificati... However, it still runs on RapMan firmware.  I'll change it over someday.  My biggest problem would be incorporating a magnet into my heated bed.

Regards,

Robert

Robert F

I realized that my first response did not do a good job of answering your question, and I used the name "3000" instead of "3D Touch", which may have caused some confusion.  To the best of my knowledge, the 3D Touch and 3000 with composite bed are mechanically the same.  They both use the magnet in the bed. If you have a plastic bed, it is probably best for you to get the composite bed if you try this upgrade. That ensures youhave the magnet mounted properly.  While the 3000's electronics are contained in a single case, the 3D Touch electronics are spread around the machine.  The main board is now inside the machine, on the floor next to the spools. The touch screen is on the upper front, and connected to the main board with a ribbon cable that is about 2 feet long. This cable does not come with the RapMan upgrade kit, but the connectors do.  The USB socket is separately mounted at the lower left front of the machine.  This also uses a long ribbon cable to connect to the main board.  You would need to drill numerous holes in your 3000 to mount everything, and buy some ribbon cable and hardware to mount the boards.  You would also need to make a simple plastic cover to protect the electronics inside the machine.  Finally, you would need to mount the magnetic sensor in your printhead carriage.  It is in the middle of the carriage, and situated behind the printheads.  It is mounted at about the same height as the linear bearings.  Given the complexity of this mod, and the number of holes that have to be drilled, I'm not suprised that BFB has not offered an upgrade kit.  However, perhaps they would be open to helping a determined 3000 owner upgrade by providing additional information.

speed
speed's picture

Actually, there are a number of people who have done away with the bed-mounted magnet, either because they have constructed a heated bed and the heat changes the magnetic propeties or they just get tired of adjusting Z-height. The solution is to mount either a reed switch or microswitch back at the bed arm mounting point. Once the switch is installed and Z-height set to it, both of those problems are over. So, no need to try to mount a sensor on the head platform. Check some of the heated bed threads for detailed information and photos.

Robert F

Thanks, that solves an annoyinng little problem!